[Openswan Users] net 2 net connection

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Sep 15 23:16:35 CEST 2005

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Kevan Benson wrote:

> I routinely leave OE enabled, and besides cluttering up the logs when not in
> use, it falls back to teh defined settings in ipsec.conf.  I commonly see it
> listed as the source of troubles for other connections though, and am
> wondering in what circumstances it causes problems.  Can someone enlighten
> me?

It doesn't, except that OE causes bootstrap problems. The first 30 seconds or
so after starting openswan, the machine appears dead in the water, and most
people panic and stop openswan before it normalises.

> I'm leaving it on because the plan is to try to use it at some future point,
> but not too far inthe future...

Good to hear :)

Another issue with OE can be if you're behind NAT. You might not be able to
reach hosts that support OE, because OE-through-NAT does not work.

"Happiness is never grand"

 	--- Mustapha Mond, World Controller (Brave New World)