[Openswan Users] IPsec crashes when trying to start

darkrealm darkrealm.drjj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 23:03:22 CEST 2005

Hello everybody.

I'm having a lot of troubles getting openswan to work,

I know you probably get a lot of questions like this but though i've
googled and everything i cannot find an answer to my questions.

First one is this, When i try to do
'service ipsec start'

my terminal crashes totally. the server itself is still active and i
can create a new SSH connection and kill service but for some reason
it does not stop itself.

I have seen on my screen it self (i have all syslog messages
redirected to my screen attached to the server) a lot of things but i
cannot seem to get this to a file and as such i cannot place it here.

when i do ipsec verify i get this:

Version check and ipsec on-path                                 [OK]
Linux Openswan U2.4.0rc3/K2.6.5-1.358 (netkey)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel                            [OK]
Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)               [FAILED]
ipsec showhostkey: no default key in "/etc/ipsec.secrets"
Checking that pluto is running                                  [FAILED]
whack: Pluto is not running (no "/var/run/pluto/pluto.ctl")
Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding            [FAILED]
whack: Pluto is not running (no "/var/run/pluto/pluto.ctl")
Checking for 'ip' command                                       [OK]
Checking for 'iptables' command                                 [OK]
Checking for 'setkey' command for NETKEY IPsec stack support    [OK]
Opportunistic Encryption Support                                [DISABLED]

my /etc/ipsec.secrets is this:

: RSA darkrealm.key "password_goes_here" (with ofcourse the actual
password to the darkrealm.key file, wich is located in
/etc/ipsec/private/)

could somebody please offer me some assistance?

thanks!

Greetings,

Darkie

--