[Openswan Users] nat-t

Martin Goldstone nightofdarkness at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 10 15:25:10 CEST 2005

Brad,

In my experience, I haven't had a lot of luck using PSK's with NAT-T, if
thats what you're doing. I've always used certificates in that circumstance,
and as I remember from some very excellent tutorials on the net (Jacco's at
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/freeswan-l2tp.html, Nate Carlson's at
http://www.natecarlson.com/linux/ipsec-x509.php, and Duncan Reed's
http://www.elminster.com/xoops/modules/phpwiki/index.php/IpcopL2tpRemoteAccessServer),
its seems PSK's don't work with NAT-T. Additionally, with NAT-T, I've only
been able to get host-to-net (Roadwarrior) or host-to-host tunnels working
(only recently I needed net-to-net through NAT-T, and in order to acheive it
I had to implement a GRE tunnel accross the ipsec tunnel, with help from
http://www.eatworms.org.uk/ipcop-gre-howto.php and the ip_gre module from a
slackware distro (10.1 I think) because IPCop didn't have the module and I
didn't have the time to setup a development environment to compile the
module myself)

In terms of getting the same config working with NATed clients and non-NATed
ones in the past, I have used the lines right=%any and
rightsubnet=vhost:%no,%priv, which worked quite well.

In general, I also make sure the OE stuff is disabled as well, as I've heard
it can cause issues with NAT-T. If you're still having problems, perhaps you
could post the errors you're getting (found at the end of the output from
the command ipsec barf).

Mart