[Openswan Users] Redirecting Tunnels

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Sep 6 17:20:13 CEST 2005

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Alaa Dalghan wrote:

> I have an openswan 2.3.1 box hosting five roadwarrior connections launched by
> five laptops over a WLAN infrastructure. The five clients are all windows XP
> and everything works just fine.
>
> Now I want to instruct 4 of the WinXP clients to redirect their tunnels to
> the fifth client who will then act as the new VPN gateway. Only this fifth
> client should keep its tunnel to the openswan gateway. In other words I want
> the topology of TUNNELS to change from a star centered at the openswan box to
> the following:

> Can anyone suggest a way to do this in a way that is transparent to user, and
> with minimum loss of connectivity and exchanged data.

That really depends on how you want them "connected". Do they have seperate
IP's? in different subnets? Can you use a subnet-subnet tunnel? Do you want
to use "Connection sharing", can traffic for those 4 be NAT'ed?

I think you either want to use XP5 as a 'gateway' and do a subnet-subnet
setup, or you want XP5 to NAT traffic on a second network card and then
do a host-subnet connection on that cilent.