[Openswan Users] Weird problem with Internet Explorer proxy settings when using VPN

Albert Strasheim fullung at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 16:16:31 CET 2005

Hello all

This message is more about Internet Explorer on Windows XP SP2 in
the presence of a VPN connection than about Openswan, but I think it
might be of interest to the community.

I recently set up a VPN between a Fedora Core 4 system and Windows XP
SP2 using Openswan 2.4.2dr1 and l2tpd 0.69.

"Use default gateway on remote network" was turned off in the VPN
connection's TCP/IP settings. This was confirmed with a route print in
the Command Prompt. IE was set up to use an autoconfiguration script
(PAC) in Tools | Options | Connections | LAN Settings. The PAC script
tells IE to access various hosts on the local network directly and to
use the network's proxy server for anything else.

As this stage, traceroute, ping and direct connections to port 80 using
telnet worked for all hosts on the local network. Connections to other
hosts through the proxy server worked. However, when the VPN connection
was on, connections to some local network hosts with Internet Explorer
didn't work. Directly connecting to port 80 still worked fine.

Then I changed the VPN connection's proxy settings to match the
global IE settings in Tools | Options | Connections | <select VPN
connection> | Settings.... Suddenly, I could access all the hosts on
the local network again.

The same problem might occur when using a normal proxy server while
telling IE to not proxy connections to local hosts, but I haven't
tested this.

Cheers

Albert