[Openswan Users] IPSec performance

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Tue Oct 4 18:28:46 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 18:19 +0200, Paul Wouters wrote:
> If you are using 3DES, you can probably see an increase when switching
> to AES.

My crufty old figures showed a ten-fold increase or so between 3DES and
AES128.

> I would be interested in getting a few more details on the hardware
> used and the performance numbers obtained.

Oddly enough I am waiting on some hardware at present (Sun sourced AMD64
boxes), which I'm aiming to benchmark for ipsec throughput if I get a
little time to do so.  Probably only using AES (I know 3DES is dog
slow), and it would just be against one set of IA32 hardware.  I'm
interested in running the same h/w in 32 bit and 64 bit mode.

If I get the chance I'll post figures.

	Nigel.