[Openswan Users] wrong gateway ip assigned

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Mon May 9 20:58:39 CEST 2005

Luca Ballerini wrote:

> I can connect and I'm authenticated in the right way, The ip address I
> want is assigned, I can even ssh the server (this is possible only for
> local LAN's ip through hosts.allow/.deny)

Be sure to check out "ListenAddress" (man sshd_config) as well.

> but I can't ping or see other local LAN's pc and can't navigate
> to Internet.

You might need to set ip_forward, but mind the security implications.
That should fix the ping problem. Seeing other clients requires
a WINS server (e.g. Samba). For navigating to the Internet you
might need to set up masquerading. An alternative would be to
enable split tunnelling on those clients. It's more efficient
(because the VPN server is not involved) but also less secure
because clients are accessible from the Internet while also
connected to the VPN.

> From xp client a "route PRINT" command shows that the default gateway
> assigned by the server is the same ip assigned to the client.

I guess that's a peculiarity of Windows. One would expect the
default gateway to be the IP address of the remote server. It's
a point-to-point connection so it seems that Windows is setting
the default route to the PPP interface and not an IP address in
particular. Anyway, nothing to worry about.

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl