[Openswan Users] Performance question: how many tunnels on a P4 2.4 Ghz?

randy at pillowfactory.org randy at pillowfactory.org
Thu Mar 3 08:13:35 CET 2005

Check your idle time - since much of the processing is done in kernel
space and most user tools only display userland CPU utilization, it'll
look like it's doing nothing.  However, if you check the idle time, I'd be
willing to bet that you're at or near zero most of the time.  Have a dual
P-III 1GHz that has one processor always at zero idle (2-5% system load
overall) when I'm doing max throughput.

That said, the same P-III system above usually does ~20Mbit/sec (ipsec +
l2tp/ppp) on a single tunnel - haven't checked max tunnels.  I forget the
URL at the moment, but Google for 'swan ipsec performance' (less the
quotes); there's quite a decent page out there that helps guesstimate
throughput and some tunnel performance numbers.