[Openswan Users] Performance question: how many tunnels on a P4 2.4 Ghz?

Joost Kraaijeveld J.Kraaijeveld at Askesis.nl
Wed Mar 2 14:42:22 CET 2005

Hi all,

I am experienceing mysterious break downs of a vpnserver. It seems to me that it cannot be the amount of traffic (the uplink < 2Mit, the NICS are 100 MBit). Allthought the CPU is alost always sleeping (<2% processor usage) I suspect it is the amount of tunnels that causes the breakdown: it started after adding several tunnels.

Hence the question:

How many tunnels can a P4 2.4 Ghz do, depending on what?

Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14