[Openswan Users] Openswan - Cisco IOS router - Preshared keys

Ahmed Benallegue Ahmed.Benallegue at ecmwf.int
Tue Jun 7 12:45:51 CEST 2005

Hello,

I am trying to setup a basic connection between a Cisco router and
openswan using:
- preshared keys
- no opportunistic encryption

The boxes are located in the same physical segment.

The linux box has:
- linux kernel 2.6.8
- openswan v2.3.1
- ipsec-tools v0.4
- iproute2 v2.6.11

I have enabled ip forwarding through: echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

The /etc/ipsec.conf file is:

    version 2.0     # conforms to second version of ipsec.conf specification

    # basic configuration
    config setup
            interfaces=%defaultroute

    conn %default
            authby=secret
            left=10.0.0.1
            leftsubnet=10.0.0.1/32
            leftnexthop=%defaultroute
            keyexchange=ike
            ike=3des-sha-modp1024

    conn cisco
            right=10.0.0.2
            rightsubnet=10.0.0.2/32
            rightnexthop=%defaultroute
            auto=add

    conn block
            auto=ignore

    conn private
            auto=ignore

    conn private-or-clear
            auto=ignore

    conn clear-or-private
            auto=ignore

    conn clear
            auto=ignore

    conn packetdefault
            auto=ignore

The result of "ipsec verify" is:

    Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started
    correctly:
    Version check and ipsec on-path                                 [OK]
    Linux Openswan U2.3.1/K2.6.8-24-default (netkey)
    Checking for IPsec support in kernel                            [OK]
    Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)               [OK]
    Checking that pluto is running                                  [OK]
    Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding            [OK]
    Checking NAT and MASQUERADEing                                  [N/A]
    Checking for 'ip' command                                       [OK]
    Checking for 'iptables' command                                 [OK]
    Checking for 'setkey' command for NETKEY IPsec stack support    [OK]
    Opportunistic Encryption Support
    [DISABLED]

I use "ipsec auto --ready" followed by "ipsec auto --verbose --up cisco"
top try to initiate the connection in order to avoid the synchronisation
issue.

BUT: I have the following error message: "021 no connection named
"cisco"". Have I forgotten changing a conf file somewhere?

I need help.

Thanks in advance.

Ahmed