[Openswan Users] Probelm with host reachability when ipsec tunnelis operational

Greg McGuire greg at greganem.com
Thu Jul 21 11:12:32 CEST 2005

Zoltan --

Yes, I believe you are right; I've determined essentially the same
thing:  the ipsec tunnel is not ignoring the local subnet when it
grabs packets to send down the tunnel:  everything in 10.0.0.0/8 gets
caught, instead of 10.0.0.0/8 minus 10.x.0.0/16 (the local subnet).
I know there must be a way around this that doesn't involve patching
netfilter, although I'll give that a try if nobody else has a
suggestion for a simpler fix in openswan.

Just so I'm clear, this is not the classic "I can't ping the ipsec
gateway from the other gateway / subnet".  I've already got that
working fine.  The case we're having trouble with is the
"overlapping" networks setup, as Paul called them:  10.0.0.0/8 on one
end to 10.x.0.0/16 on the other.

Thanks,
Greg