[Openswan Users] Connecting to Openswan from Windows XP Pro

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Wed Jul 20 19:07:23 CEST 2005

Tim P wrote:

> I am trying to use the standard setup in windows xp pro to get a vpn
> connection functioning (ipsec over L2TP)
> However instead of downloading the 3rd party ipsec client I was hoping
> that I could use the built-in windows vpn client.  I am running xp
> professional with sp2 and the firewall disabled.

Disabling the firewall is not required.

I'm not sure if the roadwarrior-l2tp-updatedwin connection might
not have been loaded, ignored or if the certificates installed
at both ends do not match. Could you try to modify the settings
as follows?

conn roadwarrior-l2tp-updatedwin
  	left=%defaultroute
  	leftprotoport=17/1701
  	leftcert=redguard.company.com.pem
  	right=%any
  	rightprotoport=17/1701
         rightca=%same
  	rightsubnet=vhost:%no,%priv
         compress=no
  	pfs=no
  	auto=add

> prefer to use the native windows ipsec if possible.  Also I have not
> installed extra software on the linux box for l2tp or ppp (not using
> dialup)  is that required or will the ipsec work without it?

Yes, you will need to install an L2TP daemon and PPP support once you get
the IPsec part working. Even though you are not using dial-up. Unlike
a dial-up server there won't be a PPP server. But the L2TP daemon will be
listening and it will spin off a PPP process for every client that connects
over the VPN.

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl