[Openswan Users] Can't connect Win98 MSL2TP clienttoOpenSwanServer

Mark Cave-Ayland m.cave-ayland at webbased.co.uk
Tue Jul 5 18:09:51 CEST 2005

(cut)

> I'm not sure if you understand. The private subnets listed in
> virtual_private are the ones that are allowed for use by
> (Windows) clients behind NAT. In most cases you don't know in
> advance what subnets the folks at home are using, so usually
> you list all possible subnets. However, you also need to
> *exclude* subnets used by the VPN router, otherwise your IP
> routing does not work (can't use the same subnet on disjoint
> networks).
>
> Jacco

Hi Jacco,

I think I see now - I've tried to draw a rough ASCII diagram of the
roadwarrior setup I'm trying to implement below (apologies if it doesn't
come out as expected):

      REMOTE
LOCAL

                    		|----------------------------------|
NAT router          		|                                  |   NAT
router (IPSec GW)
192.168.2.1    		80.1.2.3.4                            213.x.x.x
192.168.2.1
(internal, can vary)    (external, can vary)                  (external)
(internal)

Roadwarrior

192.168.2.2
(servers required by

roadwarrier)

So when the roadwarrior connects to the local IPSec GW, then even after
NAT-T then openswan will see the connection as being between 192.168.2.2 and
213.x.x.x, and not from between 80.1.2.3.4 and 213.x.x.x? In that case,
would that mean my roadwarrior in the diagram above would be unable to
connect? :(

Many thanks,

Mark.

WebBased Ltd