[Openswan Users] Openswan + l2tp - Client can't connect

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Mon Jan 31 18:53:36 CET 2005

Paul Wouters wrote:

> Can someone confirm to me that pfs=yes does not work with l2tp? Other then
> Jacco (because it seems most people copy his config file :)

This PFS issue was actually the very first problem I bumped into when
I first tried my luck with a Windows client months ago. I haven't looked
recently but I have no reason to believe that Microsoft has changed this
policy. Same thing for Apple.

>> /usr/sbin/l2tpd
>> This binary does not support kernel L2TP.
>
> I don't know. Jacco?

Yiannis is right, this is not an error but an informational message.
A better message would have been "This binary supports user mode L2TP".
There are other L2TP servers that run in kernel mode but l2tpd is not
one of them (although they were planning to, as the message indicates).

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl