[Openswan Users] Configuring IPSEC Tunnel on FC3 kernel 2.6

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Jan 10 09:27:55 CET 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, DurgaPrasad Adusumalli wrote:

> I am trying to configure and set up a IPSEC tunnel between two private
> networks.  Both the gateways are installed with Fedora core 3 kernel
> 2.6, Openswan and IPSEC tools.
>
> Left network        Left IPSEC Gateway     Right VPN Gateway   RightNetwork
> 10.0.0.0/24 ------> 192.168.11.1 -------> 192.168.11.100 -------> 10.0.0.1/24

> 					IPSEC Tunnel

- You cannot have 10.0.0.0/24 on both sides of the tunnel. How would the gateways
   know to which end to send a packet for 10.0.0.2 ?
- Putting the ipsec gateways in the same subnet (192.168.11.0/24) is not the
   same setup as having them spread across the net somewhere. If you want to do
   real world testing, put a router between them, even if they're all on the
   same switch.

"At best it is a theory, at worst a fantasy" -- Michael Crichton