[Openswan Users] How to install Openswan in Fedora.

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Mon Feb 7 16:27:49 CET 2005

Rajasekar wrote:

> I am new to this VPN setup. Please guide me to configure.
> I have some of the basic doubts. please clarify.

Commercial support for Openswan is available from Xelerance
(http://www.xelerance.com), the developers of Openswan. There
are several companies that ship Linux products with Openswan
and provide commercial support, such as:

- Astaro, a sponsor of Openswan  (http://www.astaro.com)
- Cyberguard (http://www.cyberguard.com)
- Smoothwall (http://www.smoothwall.net)
- Stinghorn (http://www.stinghorn.com)
- etc.

If you were not looking for commercial support, I am afraid you
will have to read the Openswan documentation, of which there is
an abundance included with the software itself. There is also
a Wiki available at http://wiki.openswan.org

> See our office is in India. and our head office in US. Both side we are
> using Redhat linux servers and firewall also.
>
> Question 1)  If I want to configure Openswan between both office, should
> I create the CA Certificate. (For example A machines in US and B
> machines in India)

> Question 2)  Should I create a RSA key for the both the machines. and
> which key should i enter in the left key and right key for A machines
> and B machines.

There are many authentication options. Perhaps it is easier to start
with a Preshared Key (a long and difficult to guess password) if both
offices have fixed IP addresses. Once that works you can switch to
RSA keys or even X.509 certificates, should you also require
interoperability with other IPsec implementations.

> Please give me the details as early as possible.

For handholding you may prefer to seek commercial support.

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl