[Openswan Users] Bridging lan over wireless link

Dan Searle dan at adelix.com
Mon Feb 7 08:58:03 CET 2005

Hi,

The problem with bridging using wireless links is that you can only
put a radio in "Access Point" mode into a bridge. Trying to put an
Ad-Hoc or Station mode radio interface into a bridge won't work as it
has no notion of a "Promiscuous" mode. I.e. only the AP in an 802.11
network can be "Promiscuous".

I would use "vtun" software to create an ethernet bridge between the
two nodes. There's plenty of docs on how to use vtun, and it works
perfectly for me. You could still load balance by setting up a load
balanced routed IP network between the two nodes radio interfaces,
after this is setup, configure vtun at both ends, bridge the "tap" and
ethernet interface, you should be sorted.

http://vtun.sourceforge.net/

Regards, Dan...

--

Dan Searle
Adelix Ltd

Any views expressed in this email communication are those
of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
them to be the views of a member of Adelix Ltd.  Adelix Ltd. does not
represent, warrant or guarantee that the integrity of this communication
has been maintained nor that the communication is free of errors or
interference.