[Openswan Users] A demo with only one Linux machine

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Tue Dec 20 22:02:02 CET 2005

Mihajlo Cvetanovic wrote:

> I'm a beginner to Openswan, and I would like to create a simple network
> that utilizes IPsec. Could I do that with only two computers, one Linux
> with Openswan, and one Win2000 acting as a road warrior? The road
> warrior should be able to browse through Linux web server, but through
> other network interface (not through the one it's directly connected).
> I've read Jacco de Leeuw's tutorial, and set IPsec to start without
> complaints, now I should deal with certificates, but I was wondering if
> my plan can work at all.

Sure, you should be able to do that. With L2TP/IPsec the client gets
assigned an IP address in the same subnet as the other (internal)
network interface. You can bind the webserver to that interface
so that it is not directly accessible from the external interface.

For a demo setup you don't even have to use certificates, a PSK
should be fine as well.

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl
                     Mosquitos suck