[Openswan Users] VPN advice

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Mon Apr 25 08:01:12 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 15:55 -0500, aknisely at verizon.net wrote:
> My company wishes to use open source software to configure a VPN. Is there an advantage to using OpenSwan instead of OpenVPN, and if so, what is it. Based on my research OpenVPN looks easier to configure. We use only Linux servers and need employees with Windows 2000/XP laptops to be able to connect as Road Warriors from any location in the USA. Our internal network lies inside a Cisco PIX 515 firewall. We have a T1 coming into our gateway. Any advice would be greatly appreaciated. Thank you.
<snip>
I've never used OpenVPN however it looks like a very interesting and
capable product.  We are planning to eventually build support for it in
the ISCS network security management project
(http://iscs.sourceforge.net).  On the other hand, IPSec and Openswan
will give you much better interoperability with other systems as far as
I know - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation
jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com

Financially sustainable open source development
http://www.opensourcedevel.com