[Openswan Users] Failed VPN connection attempt with "malformed payload in packet"

Toby Corkindale openswan at wintrmute.net
Wed Oct 27 17:58:57 CEST 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 09:13:06AM -0400, Darin Ingimarson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an IPSec installation installed on our NAT-ing firewall/gateway
> machine that is intended to provide remote access to our LAN from remote
> sites. I am trying to get this work with the sample setup shown below.
>
> Basically my home DSL connection, (a regular ADSL modem plus this little
> D-Link DI-624 with IPSec & PPTP passthrough enabled). For reasons I wont
> get into here, the firewall machine is also acting as the VPN server.
[snip]
> + _________________________ version
> + ipsec --version
> Linux Openswan U2.2.0/K2.6.5-1.358 (native)
> See `ipsec --copyright' for copyright information.
> + _________________________ proc/version
> + cat /proc/version
> Linux version 2.6.5-1.358 (bhcompile at bugs.build.redhat.com) (gcc version
> 3.3.3 20040412 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.3-7)) #1 Sat May 8 09:04:50 EDT 2004
> + _________________________ proc/net/ipsec_eroute

Umm,
this might just as simple as requiring you to upgrade to a newer kernel..
I think there were various bugs that were fixed at some point post-2.6.5.

tjc

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre/The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold/Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world