[Openswan Users] RedHat6.0, Openswan 1.0.7, and now OpenSSH

Marshall, Jonathan Jonathan.Marshall at usfsi.com
Sat Oct 23 13:27:19 CEST 2004

"Umm SCP/SFTP, I generally use WinSCP on the Windows box and SSH on the
*nix."

I tried OpenSSH, and it has a dependency that is missing from RedHat 6.0.
Here is what I attempted it with:

OpenSSH 2.9 (requires RPM 4.4)
RPM 4.0.4 (upgrades fine to this, just requires Popt)
Popt 1.7 (upgrades fine to this)
OpenSSL-0.9.6 and OpenSSL-Devel 0.9.6 (installs fine)

RPM 4.4 reports several unsatisfied dependencies, even though I have the
files its looking for (including some of the files from
glibc-2.1.3-22.i386.rpm, which I have installed).  I decided to --nodeps
with RPM just to see what happens (doesn't take me long to reinstall RedHat
6 if I trash it).  I can then install OpenSSH, but when I try to start the
daemon, I get errors saying I am still missing .so files, including
libgcc_s.so.1.  This comes from the libgcc RPM, which I cannot find one for
RedHat6.0.

As for Openswan, when I follow Paul Wouters' advice:

" You should be able to say:
export KERNELSRC=/usr/src/linux-2.2.x/
make module minstall

If that fails, please show us the error."

Well, here is the error:

[root@ openswan-1.0.7]# export KERNELSRC=/usr/src/linux-2.2.5
[root@ openswan-1.0.7]# make module minstall
rm –f out.kbuild out.kinstall
egrep –q ‘^CONFIG_MODULES=y’ /usr/src/linux-2.2.5/.config
make: *** [module] Error 1
[root@ openswan-1.0.7]#

I did notice that Paul had a trailing slash on /usr/src/linux-2.2.x/, but
when I used a trailing slash, the error reported the address
/usr/src/linux-2.2.x//.config.  Otherwise, the error was identical.  So that
would lead me to believe that the file couldn't be found.  However, when I
locate:

/usr/src/linux-2.2.5/.config

Pops right up.

Thanks for all the help.