[Openswan Users] Problems with L2TPD...

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Wed Oct 6 01:39:14 CEST 2004

Nicole Hähnel wrote:

> I'm using rhel with l2tpd-0.69-8jdl.i686.rpm and openswan 2.1.5.
> We have windows xp and w2k clients connecting to the vpn server over l2tp.
> It worked the last weeks,
> but now it's not working and I don't now why.
> I get no errors in the logfiles!
> It says connection established, and after a few seconds the connection
> terminates.
> Error on the client is 678.

If it worked previously and now it doesn't then you should backtrack
on what you did. With little detail it is difficult to do any remote
troubleshooting.

If it actually did not work before, then I am guessing that RHEL
is missing 'legacy (BSD) pty support' (CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS=y),
just like Fedora Core 2.

A better solution might be adding support for the new pty style
to l2tpd, but I am not sure if anyone did (and whether rp-l2tp
would be an alternative).

> Is there any newer l2tpd version which works with rhel?

This I don't know. I certainly won't buy RHEL to try it.

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl