[Openswan Users] Ipsec establish but cannot ping (routing problem)

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Nov 19 18:24:52 CET 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Cebu Inc wrote:

> Im pretty sure this is just routing problem, I can establish connection.
> this is my ipsec.conf
>
> config setup
> 	interfaces="ipsec0=eth0:3 ipsec1=eth3"
> 	nat_traversal=yes
> 	virtual_private=%v4:10.0.0.0/8,%v4:172.16.0.0/12,%v4:192.168.1.0/16

You are saying it is fine to have 192.168.1.0/24 behind nat

> conn wireless-net
> 	leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/24

But it is also part of your own end.

> conn wireless
> 	left=192.168.2.254

And this clashes as well.

> My wireless works just fine, my problem is my roadwarrior setup.  The
> connection establish, but I cannot ping any internal ip's.  Ipsec works if im
> in over lapping network.

I think it is more likely that you are pinging whatever device in the
internal network (internal to the laptop)

> laptop 192.168.1.0/24 -----> fw --------- internet ----------- fw -------
> 192.168.1.0/24 networkABC

This cannot work. An IP address cannot be at both places at once.

> if im connected like this where my laptop is behind 192.168.1.0/24 same thing
> as my networkABC, the connection works, I can ping and do everything else.

Are you sure? Are you not dailing out from the networkABC network ? I can't
imagine this works.