[Openswan Users] Windows box as VPN client and router

Needy Admin needsh3lp at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 27 18:39:36 CEST 2004

Hi,

I have a travelling salesman that needs to connect to the office and at the
moment he can do so with XP Pro and SSH Sentinel (using a manually
assigned virtual IP) and happily access email and other services.

He now also needs to allow a handheld device to connect via the VPN.
As I understand the setup, he basically wants the laptop to be a
router/vpn gateway to allow the laptop and the device(s) behind the box
to access the servers at the office at the same time.

I've tried with SSH Sentinel but I cannot find any documentation on such
a configuration.

I've also tried using the native IPSec in XP with the ipsec tool from
vpn.ebootis.de by Marcus Muller and no luck there either. The laptop can
connect successfully but it doesnt NAT or route any traffice from the
internal net

I'm afraid the OS is not negotiable as he needs to use a Windows app together with the handheld. On the other hand a VMWare type solution maybe sufficient.

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions on this matter.

Regards,

NA