[Openswan Users] Windows Shares behind an ipsec/l2tp tunnel not reachable

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Fri May 21 10:00:13 CEST 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004, foren titze wrote:
> i try to connect windows shares behind a ipsec/l2tp server. all the
> traffic goes through the tunnel from the roadwarrior and the windows
> server. i can ping the windows server, but only by his IP. when i try to
> ping over the dns-name, i get an unreachable.
>
> so it seems as if the dns-server in our network can't resolve the name,
> or the roadwarrior, which should get his dns-server by the l2tp daemon,
> dont get the right ip back.
>
> in my options.l2tp are our two dns-server listed, but in the daemon
> logfile I read the following:
>
> May 21 07:14:13 linux-vpn pppd[28458]: sent [IPCP ConfNak id=0x7 <addr
> 192.168.121.80> <ms-dns1 192.168.110.2> <ms-dns3 192.168.121.1>]
>
> but where is dns2?

not sure if that's normal or not; if you run an 'ipconfig /all' on the
windows box after the l2tp tunnel is up, do you see both dns servers, or
just one?

have you try connecting to the share by IP? IE, start/run/\\10.0.0.1? that
should let you connect (as long as the server is smb/nt/2000/xp, in my
experience it doesn't work for 95/98/me boxes).