[Openswan Users] Windows Shares behind an ipsec/l2tp tunnel not reachable

foren titze freeswan at gmx.net
Fri May 21 14:34:26 CEST 2004

Hello users,

i try to connect windows shares behind a ipsec/l2tp server. all the traffic
goes through the tunnel from the roadwarrior and the windows server. i can
ping the windows server, but only by his IP. when i try to ping over the
dns-name, i get an unreachable.

so it seems as if the dns-server in our network can't resolve the name, or the
roadwarrior, which should get his dns-server by the l2tp daemon, dont get the
right ip back.

in my options.l2tp are our two dns-server listed, but in the daemon logfile I
read the following:

May 21 07:14:13 linux-vpn pppd[28458]: sent [IPCP ConfNak id=0x7 <addr
192.168.121.80> <ms-dns1 192.168.110.2>
<ms-dns3 192.168.121.1>]

but where is dns2?