[Openswan Users] WindowsXP Clients?

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Thu Mar 25 12:15:04 CET 2004

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Trevor Benson wrote:
> Look at Nate Carlson, Martin Koeppe, and Jacco De Leeuw's howto's for
> Windows Native Clients with IPSec.  It can be one, but windows native
> expects L2TP, so unless you have a MS RRAS server behind your tunnel,
> you need to use a ipsec.exe binary to strip out the l2tp from microsofts
> clients, but it does work for free :-)

Actually, that's not totally accurate - Windows *does* have built-in IPSec
support, they just don't have a dialer that does IPSec-only. All ipsec.exe
does is use Microsoft's command-line tool for configuring the IPSec
connections. There is a gui alternative to ipsec.exe, but I haven't yet
tried it:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ivpn/

Also, you don't need a MS RAS server -- you can easily use l2tpd (free
daemon) on your VPN gateway to terminate L2TP connections, and use MS's
built-in L2TP-over-IPSec client.