[Openswan Users] x509 certificate question

Andreas Steffen andreas.steffen at strongsec.net
Sun Mar 21 14:15:04 CET 2004

My X.509 howto found at

   http://www.strongsec.com/freeswan/install.htm

might help you.

Usually you must only load your own cert locally using leftcert=
(assuming that left is local and right remote).

    ipsec auto --listcerts

shows all the certs loaded locally. The remote cert is transmitted
by the peer as part of the IKE Main Mode protocol. openswan/strongswan
keeps only the public key which is listed by the command

   ipsec auto --listpubkey

In order for the received peer cert to be trusted a  CA cert is
required which must be put into /etc/ipsec.d/cacerts. The command

   ipsec auto --listcacerts

shows you all loaded CA certs.

If you have problems with your connection setup please post a barf
with

    klipsdebug=none
    plutodebug=all

set in ipsec.conf.

Kind regards

Andreas

Andreas Steffen                   e-mail: andreas.steffen at strongsec.com
strongSec GmbH                    home:   http://www.strongsec.com
Alter Zürichweg 20                phone:  +41 1 730 80 64
CH-8952 Schlieren (Switzerland)   fax:    +41 1 730 80 65