[Openswan Users] DPD on OpenS/WAN

John P Santos jpsantos at vex.net
Fri Mar 19 05:25:26 CET 2004

When the FreeS/WAN announced it's imminent demise I switched over all my
VPNs to OpenS/WAN after I read somewhere (no longer remember exactly where)
that Dead Peer Detection (DPD) was enabled as a patch in OpenS/WAN aka
SuperFreeS/WAN.

Does anyone know how I can go about using this?  Because I'm having some
serious issues with some of the peers on 3 and 4 way VPN networks going
down from time to time and not coming back up.  I need a trustworthy way of
making sure that these connections are alive, and so far the scripts people
have posted on the mailing list are not working.

Can someone please help?  :-D  I need to get this working, so I can avoid
my clients calling me everyday to have me restart the VPN on remote servers.

There are other VPN implementations out there that address this issue in a
much better way, where you can actually ping networks from within the
servers, something which IPSec isn't possible because of it's architecture,
but overlooked because of the strong security of IPSec's encryption.

I await and thank ahead of time anyone's reply.

- John