[Openswan Users] Openswan and RHEL 3 error xfrm_user module

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Mon Jun 28 13:26:02 CEST 2004

Paul Wouters wrote:

> We need CONFIG_XFRM_USER. This can be build into the kernel or as module.
> Since I know of no way to detect wether we actually have it either loaded
> or inline, we just modprobe it and hope for the best.

Is it possible to log a warning message that the requirement is not
loaded, and that the config is broken and needs to be fixed before
freeswan will work?

> If someone can tell me how I can detect this capability in the kernel,
> without having the new 'config in proc' options that 2.6 added, I'll gladly
> add code to check this.
>
> So for now, check your .config file to see if it is inline. If it is not part
> of the kernel, build the module or rebuild the kernel. If it is part of the
> kernel, ignore the modprobe warning.

Unfortunately Redhat do not include a .config file in their kernel
source, so I cannot see if it's built in. Redhat's policy does seem to
be everything-as-a-module, and the module is definitely not there.

I will try with a different kernel and see if I get any joy, and I'll
report yet another bug to Redhat.

Regards,
Graham