[Openswan Users] Openswan and RHEL 3 error xfrm_user module

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Mon Jun 28 13:15:21 CEST 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Graham Leggett wrote:

> > ipsec_setup: modprobe: Can't locate module xfrm_user

> > First I tried with kernel 2.4.21-15 an openswan 2.1.1 from Dag Wieers
> > and it work's fine.

It didn't require the new 2.6 ipsec code. You were using KLIPS, so you
didn't get this error.

> Unfortunately, as freeswan makes no distinction between informational,
> warning and error messages, there is no evidence to suggest whether the
> complaints about not finding modules are an error worthy of an
> administrator's attention, or informational messages that can safely be
> ignored :(

We need CONFIG_XFRM_USER. This can be build into the kernel or as module.
Since I know of no way to detect wether we actually have it either loaded
or inline, we just modprobe it and hope for the best.

If someone can tell me how I can detect this capability in the kernel,
without having the new 'config in proc' options that 2.6 added, I'll gladly
add code to check this.

So for now, check your .config file to see if it is inline. If it is not part
of the kernel, build the module or rebuild the kernel. If it is part of the
kernel, ignore the modprobe warning.

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.