[Openswan Users] Re:

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Mon Jun 21 14:28:51 CEST 2004

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Xiaoming Yu wrote:
> We (IBM iSeries) certainly support x.509, but does it mean we have to
> get a real one in order to test with Linux? We can issue certificate for
> our own platform and can be loaded on Windows, but not sure about Linux.
> And the RSA key created on Linux cannot be imported to other platform
> easily, right? So back to my original question, do I have to get a real
> certificate from trusted CA in order just to test? Thanks,

Oh, no, you can certainly generate your own X.509 certificates, using
standard CA software (I use OpenSSL's 'CA' script). Certs created on Linux
can go just about anywhere, in my experience - I certainly have no
problems exporting them as p12 files for Windows or anything.

I've got information on how to create a CA and such, at:

http://www.natecarlson.com/linux/ipsec-x509.php#casetup