[Openswan Users] help compiling

Matías López Bergero mlopezb at udesa.edu.ar
Thu Jun 17 14:41:32 CEST 2004

Paul Wouters wrote:
| On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Matías López Bergero wrote:

Hi paul,

|>I find and deleted the package a make a link from /usr/include for asm
|>to the include/asm and linux to the include/linux dir on the kernel
source.

| You should reinstall glibc-kernheaders

I don't have that package on my system.
sh-2.04# rpm -qa | grep glibc
glibc-2.2.4-33
glibc-profile-2.2.4-33
glibc-common-2.2.4-33
glibc-devel-2.2.4-33
sh-2.04#

Looks like this version of redhat(7.1) doesn't uses this package.
The package that seems to have the glibc headers is glibc-devel.

Description :
The glibc-devel package contains the header and object files necessary
for developing programs which use the standard C libraries (which are
used by nearly all programs). If you are developing programs which
will use the standard C libraries, your system needs to have these
standard header and object files available in order to create the
executables.

This package provides most of the files located in the /usr/include
directory.
Looks like I dont need to install the package you had mentioned.

Perhaps a good idea it is to create a new rpm package of glibc with the
last sources from gnu site to upgrade the system.

|>I was in a mistake thinking that the kernel headers are taken directly
|>from /usr/src/linux :(
|
| As far as I understood, the kernel headers should always match with
the glibc
| compile. So even if the linux kernel uses different internals, you always
| want to compile programs against the glibc-kernheaders, and not the
headers
| in /usr/src/linux/include/linux

I looked for glibc-kernheaders package in other versions of redhat.

Description :
glibc-kernheaders includes the C header files from the Linux kernel.  The
header files define structures and constants that are needed for
building some standard programs and are also needed for rebuilding the
glibc package

If you look at the files provided by this package, this are located on
the /usr/include/linux /usr/include/asm /usr/include/scsi directories.
Those are the kernel headers.
I guess that what I do it is ok. Because I was using a vanilla kernel
from kernel.org and not the kernel provided by the rpms from redhat.

I hope this is right and help someone else.

with Best Regards,
Matías.