[Openswan Users] VPN

Mike McLean libolt at libolt.net
Thu Jul 22 00:57:56 CEST 2004

Hi, I have a VPN setup between two NAT systems that is working fine. I
have a 3rd NAT system that routes through one of the other NAT systems

Gateway 1:
subnet: 192.168.4.0/24

Gateway 2:
subnet: 192.168.1.0/24

Gateway 3:
subnet: 192.168.20.0/24

Now Gateway 3 routes through gateway two.

What I'd like to do is setup a VPN between gateway 1 and gateway 3 so
that I can access the computers on the 192.168.20.0/24 subnet from the
192.168.4.0/24 subnet.

I am not sure how to go about doing this, if it's even possible.  I'm
using the exact same 2.4.26 kernel patched with openswan 2.1.4 and the
nat-t patch.  I'm using x.509 certs

I used Nate Carlson's tutorial when originally setting this up.

Here's the working config for Gateway 1:

conn home-metro
        left=gateway2_ip
        leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/24
        leftcert=gateway2.pem
        right=%defaultroute
        rightsubnet=192.168.4.0/24
        rightcert=gateway1.pem
        auto=add
        pfs=yes

conn home-metro-net
        left=gateway2_ip
        leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/24
        also=home-metro

Here's the working config for Gateway 2:

conn home-metro
        right=%any
        rightsubnet=192.168.4.0/24
        rightcert=gateway1.pem
        left=%defaultroute
        leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/24
        leftcert=gateway2.pem
        auto=add
        pfs=yes

conn home-metro-net
        leftsubnet=192.168.1.0/24
        also=home-metro

I am not sure what to setup for conencting gateway 1 to gateway 3.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike