[Openswan Users] Transport mode in 2.6 IPsec

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Fri Jul 16 15:18:36 CEST 2004

> I noticed USE_NAT_TRAVERSAL_TRANSPORT_MODE is enabled by default in
> Openswan (at least in 2.1.4).  Have the issues regarding security when
> using NAT-T and transport mode together (see doc/README.NAT-Traversal)
> been solved in kernel 2.4 using the Openswan IPsec kernel implementation?

No.

> What about in kernel 2.6 using the built-in IPsec?

According to Mathieu Lafon, the author of the NAT-T patch:

   "The known issue about Transport mode is still there with
   kernel 2.6 and surely in KAME".

So switching from kernel 2.4 to 2.6 or from Openswan/FreeS/WAN to
ipsec-tools won't help.

 > I've searched the Internet, including this list, left and right but
 > found no definitive answer, just people saying "insecure or not,
 > we need interop with Windows."

In addition to the above, Mathieu also wrote:

   "Perhaps I'm too paranoid".

So it could be just him, but I don't know of anybody else who has
done an assessment of the security of NAT-T in Transport Mode.

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl