[Openswan Users] Patching the kernel with openswan

Hugo Sousa sousa.hugo at netcabo.pt
Wed Jan 21 17:45:24 CET 2004

This is how I patch the Kernel (in RH9)
- I Install GMP
./configure --prefix=/usr/local
make
make install

- also MODUTILS
./configure --prefix=/
make

Recompiling the KERNEL

cd /usr/src/linux
make mrproper
make menuconfig
make dep
make clean
make bzImage (usa compressao bzip2)
make modules
make modules_install

- OPENSWAN INSTALL
cd /root/openswan
make menugo
cd /usr/src/linux
make modules_install

I copy the bzImage to /boot

If everything OK I edit lilo.conf and add

image=/boot/vmlinuz-ipsec
label=linux-vpn
read-only

Also I Create the RAM drive...

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.x.img 2.x

Is there any faster/better way to do this???

Please helpe me because I loose all of my time trying to patch the kernel
then testing the tunnels! :/

Regards,

Hugo Sousa
SysAdmin / NetworkAdmin