[Openswan Users] Connection going down on address change

Paul Wouters paul at xtdnet.nl
Fri Jan 16 14:39:00 CET 2004

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Norbert Wegener wrote:

> using superfreeswan 1.99.8  on  both sides of  my vpn connection, I
> usually have no problems. My provider takes down the connection after 24
> hours. I can reconnect immediately and get another ipaddress. Sometimes
> my provider disconnects the client's DSL connection after two hours or
> so. In this case the server takes  the vpn connection down. The  server
> message file shows the following:

> #5115: nat_traversal_new_mapping: address change currently not supported
> [80.135.212.29:4500,217.85.249.232:4500]
>
> Is there any way to avoid this situation?

Switch ISPs?

Seriously. If they cannot give you a static IP address, they're not worth
being a customer of. ISPs need to get that clue.

As for your vpn, you should be able to restart it from the client side when
this happens. For exmple in your ppp-up script or something. If you have
a tunnel up with a subnet behind your machine, eg not using the dynamic IP
from your ISP for tunnel traffic, your applications won't even notice anything
apart from a brief glitch in the matrix.