[Openswan Users] Looking for windows XP client

Nate Carlson natecars at natecarlson.com
Wed Feb 25 20:16:32 CET 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Paul Wouters wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression the 2000/XP
> IPsec client is a fully capable IPsec client working in ESP mode, not
> AH+L2TP. The only reason people use L2TP is 1) they have Win9x (and
> other problems :) and 2) They want dynamic/assigned IP addresses that
> Microsoft only supports through L2TP.

The L2TP client is a lot simpler for non-technical users to use in my
experience (text-based windows seem to confuse some people). The dynamic
(ie, in the local subnet) IP also makes networking under Windows a lot
simpler.

> I've never ran an l2tp daemon, and frequently connect from Win2K/XP
> machines with the native stack to freeswan/openswan servers using
> roadwarriors behind nat.

Correct - you can use the native stack with ipsec.exe without a problem.
That's still what I usually use from Windows (when I have to use Windows..
*grin*).