[Openswan Users] Looking for windows XP client

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Feb 26 00:42:35 CET 2004

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Nate Carlson wrote:

> One option is to use Windows' built-in l2tp-over-ipsec client.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression the 2000/XP IPsec
client is a fully capable IPsec client working in ESP mode, not AH+L2TP.
The only reason people use L2TP is 1) they have Win9x (and other problems :)
and 2) They want dynamic/assigned IP addresses that Microsoft only supports
through L2TP.

> The downside to this is you have to run a l2tp daemon, and it's kind of
> hard to debug problems.

I've never ran an l2tp daemon, and frequently connect from Win2K/XP machines
with the native stack to freeswan/openswan servers using roadwarriors behind
nat.