[Openswan Users] OpenSWAN with only one interface

arno van der walt vex0r2002 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 00:00:01 CEST 2004

Hey Guys

Coming from a Cisco perspective I know it is impossible to terminate a VPN
tunnel on one interface and then route traffic out that same interface,
effectively you always need an outside and an inside interface.

I did go through all the mailing list archives but couldn;t find anything on
the topic...maybe because it has such an obvious answer but here goes.

Can i run OpenSWAN with only one interface?
Example config:
left= 10.10.10.1
leftsubnet= 10.10.10.0

Or could I add a virtual IP on the same interface of say 192.168.1.1 and
then do this:
left= 192.168.1.1
leftsubnet=10.10.10.0

Any help would be appreciated.