[Openswan Users] SUSE 9V1 no ipsec interface

trevor-os at thennion.demon.co.uk trevor-os at thennion.demon.co.uk
Sun Aug 15 23:15:13 CEST 2004

Hi,

I have had a VPN running successfully for some months using SuperFreeswan.

I am now trying out a Suse 9v1 install, as it is very eay to keep it upto
date.

It uses kernel 2.6.5, and freeswan 2.04. It has the ipsec-tools installed.
These are all provide by Suse. From what I understand the ipsec stuff is
built into the kernel.

I can connect to another system - the VPN gateway, and I get
"ISAKMP SA established" and
"IPsec SA established"

but there is no ipsec0(or x) interface at all on the Suse box - there is on
the Gateway, so all the traffic is unencrypted - not much use!

This is the first time I have used a 2.6 kernel, and 2.x series free/openswan.

Has anyone else experienced this - and if so how did you fix it?
Have I missed something?

Regards

Trevor Hennion