[Openswan Users] Error 789

Walker Aumann walkera at ofb.net
Thu Aug 5 18:02:34 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 15:31, Jacco de Leeuw wrote:
> Walker Aumann wrote:
>
> > I have a WinXP Home box with SP2 installed.
>
> I just read that SP2 has been delayed. Again. For some reason.
> What I mean to say is that this is beta software and there might
> be bugs in it.

Well, I'm assuming it is SP2 since there are a number of hotfixes
installed that say "Windwos XP Hotfix (SP2) Q......".  Maybe these are
things that will be included in SP2?

>  > When I try to make an L2TP vpn connection, I get error 789 immediately.
>
> Perhaps the IPsec service is not running? Did you check the IKE.LOG?

services.msc claims that IPSEC is running.  Searching the disk does not
find IKE.LOG.  However, in the security log, I found a few entries like:

IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to initialize IKE module with
error code: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of
object references.  IPSec Services could not be started.

After some more searching, I've removed McAfee personal firewall and
VMWare as possible contributors to the problem.  I had IPSEC running for
a bit, but a restart to make sure everything was happy ended that.  I
suppose I'll see what I can do, short of a full reinstall, tomorrow.

> Weird. I don't know what business Windows Update has in looking at
> VPN connections. SP2 uses Windows Update v5, right? Could be a bug.

I have no clue.  The "About Windows Update" like doesn't seem to provide
a version number.  Telling XP to never attempt to dial a connection
automatically seems to have corrected this, though.

Thank you for the pointers.  Hopefully I'll find the broken piece
tomorrow.

Walker