[Openswan Users] Installation question

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Aug 5 20:37:54 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:08:56PM +0200, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Richard Abbuhl wrote:
>
> > I am still working on a Remote Desktop Connection problem with Fedora
> > Core 2 and had an Openswan installation question.  I installed Openswan
> > using the RPM openswan-2.1.4-1.fc2.i386.rpm.  Are most users installing
> > Openswan by using the source, i.e. openswan-2.1.4.tar.gz?  Also, there
>
> Probably more are installing by source, since we do not have or binary
> building completely in place yet, though some other people are building
> binary packages (ATrpms and foobar.fi)

From the versioning style the rpm is not from ATrpms. BTW I thought
you were joking with foobar.fi (i.e. that you forgot the domain name,
but there is indeed a foobar.fi :)

> > seems to be two patches (openswan-2.1.4.natt.patch.gz and
> > openswan-2.1.4.kern.patch.gz)?  Are these included in the RPM and/or
> > they needed when installing Openswan using the source?
>
> Check the rpm descriptions for details (rpm -qi).
> The natt patch is for applying the nat-traversal patch to a kernel that
> doesnt natively support this feauture. 2.6 kernels already support nat-t,
> as do rehat enterprise kernels with the ipsec backport. All other kernels
> need the natt patch.
> The kern patch is for KLIPS, the Openswan ipsec stack. It is needed for
> stock 2.2/2.4 kernels. There will be a KLIPS patch for 2.6 kernels shortly.

ATrpms has Red Hat/Fedora kernel rpms that have been patched with
natt/"kern" at http://ATrpms.net/name/kernel/. The natt/"kern" patches
are from 2.1.2rc4, but I believe the natt patch hasn't changed since,
and the "kern" patch is overridden by installing newer
kernel-module-openswan rpms from http://ATrpms.net/name/openswan/.

(Paul, Ken, if the above is wrong and I should rebuild the kernels
with newer patchsets let me know)

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net