[Openswan Users] Installation question

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Wed Aug 4 23:08:56 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Richard Abbuhl wrote:

> I am still working on a Remote Desktop Connection problem with Fedora
> Core 2 and had an Openswan installation question.  I installed Openswan
> using the RPM openswan-2.1.4-1.fc2.i386.rpm.  Are most users installing
> Openswan by using the source, i.e. openswan-2.1.4.tar.gz?  Also, there

Probably more are installing by source, since we do not have or binary
building completely in place yet, though some other people are building
binary packages (ATrpms and foobar.fi)

> seems to be two patches (openswan-2.1.4.natt.patch.gz and
> openswan-2.1.4.kern.patch.gz)?  Are these included in the RPM and/or
> they needed when installing Openswan using the source?

Check the rpm descriptions for details (rpm -qi).
The natt patch is for applying the nat-traversal patch to a kernel that
doesnt natively support this feauture. 2.6 kernels already support nat-t,
as do rehat enterprise kernels with the ipsec backport. All other kernels
need the natt patch.
The kern patch is for KLIPS, the Openswan ipsec stack. It is needed for
stock 2.2/2.4 kernels. There will be a KLIPS patch for 2.6 kernels shortly.

The "kern" patches should be called "klips" patches. I just noticed that
newer patches are called "kern" instead of "klips". This will be fixed
shortly.

Paul

--

<Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.