[Openswan Users] NAT-T Issue on 2.4.26 kernel

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Apr 27 15:59:16 CEST 2004

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 01:41:23PM +0200, Sebastian Zdrojewski wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am new to the list, so please forgive me if I am asking something that
> may be already answered.
>
> I am actually compiling openswan-2.1.2rc3 on a Linux box using the
> source tree for 2.4.26 kernel. It works fine without the NAT-T
> functionality (I am working on a L2TP/IPsec gateway).
>
> When I started to look for the NAT-T feature in /var/log/secure I am
> finding this error:
>
> Apr 27 01:29:32 xxxxx pluto [PIDno]: NAT:Traversal: ESPINUDP(1) not
> supported by kernel -- NAT-T disabled
>
> Now: I am looking for more information about this (I didn't get this
> problem with 1.0.3 version) and I can't understand what's wrong. The
> kernel seems to be compiled correctly. I've tried both methods compiling
> using the "make menugo", by applying the kernel-patch file, and even
> using the "make nattpatch"... but result is still the same.
>
> Anybody have a suggestion?

You need to apply the patch generated my nattpatch against the kernel
and rebuild the kernel. You can also start right away with

http://www.openswan.org/code/openswan-2.1.2rc3.natt.patch.gz

and if you like also patch right in the openswan patch

http://www.openswan.org/code/openswan-2.1.2rc3.kern.patch.gz

I'd be very interested, if you get this going, as there seem to be
problems with this combination at least when starting with Fedora Core
kernel sources. Therefore a verification/falsification of issues would
be very helpful. Thanks!