[Openswan dev] KLIPS tdb_lock as rwlock instead of spinlock?

Jagdish Motwani jagdish.motwani at elitecore.com
Wed Apr 11 09:42:31 EDT 2012

Hi,
    Can tdb_lock be converted from spinlock to rwlock?

     From what i know, tdb_lock is used to protect sa.
                                  ipsec_xmit.c &  ipsec_rcv.c just uses
them for reading(get) sa.

      While experimenting with KLIPS, i converted this tdb_lock to
rwlock_t and performed the below given test.

      I got desired results but i am not sure about any side-effects of
this conversion.  Please provide your valuable input.

/
     Test setup details:
                     LAN1 ----------
                                             Test Machine
----------(Ipsec tunnel)---------------- Road warrior
                     LAN2 ----------

       Test Machine has 8 cores, I  have binded interrupts to only 3 of
them:
                             LAN1 -- cpu1
                             LAN2 -- cpu2
                  Roadwarrior -- cpu3

       Traffic flows from LAN1 and LAN2 to Road warrior. (I used iperf
to generate traffic: iperf server is at road warrior and clients in LAN1
and LAN2).

     Changes done:
               1) in ipsec_tunnel.c
                          dev->tx_queue_len   = 0;        /* No qdisc
*/   (Earlier it was 10)
                          dev->features |= NETIF_F_LLTX; /* No tx lock */

               2)Converted tdb_lock from spinlock_t to rwlock_t
                          Instead of spin_lock_bh used
                                         read_lock_bh in ipsec_xmit.c
and ipsec_rcv.c
                                         write_lock_bh elsewhere
        Got throughput:
          Before Change: 225 Mbps    (cpu1 and cpu2  are  not being 100%
utilized)
          After Change:    350 Mbps    (both cpus1 and cpu2 are being
100% utilized)
/

     Also, One more question: Is there any know side effect of
dev->tx_queue_len=0? Why is it 10  by default?

Regards,
Jagdish Motwani
Software Engineer
Elitecore Technologies Pvt. Ltd.