[Openswan dev] First pass README update

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Oct 14 13:26:29 EDT 2010

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Harald Jenny wrote:

>> Yes it would be. The only two commands in perl are policy (for mast)
>> and verify. I'd prefer python for both of them. They could be done
>> with shell scripting, but in our experience, most embedded systems are
>> using fairly broken/limited awk/sed/sh versions and usually miss auxiliary
>> commands (dirname, id, etc) to work properly. So these commands tend to not
>> work on embedded systems anyway.
>
> Hmmmm but wouldn't this be desirable to improve openswan for such systems?

embedded people often make the wrong decisions on limiting busybox functionality.

We do have some workarounds for missing options to "test" and missing dirname and
some others. But modifying the awk stuff is harder. We're working on facing it out,
since most of it now happens via "ipsec addconn --configsetup" but we're not there
yet.

The real fix for those systems is to use posix compliant,  slightly larger versions
of regex,sed,awk etc. Space gained from not having "id" or "dirname" is really meaningless.