[Openswan dev] ocf debian

Harald Jenny harald at a-little-linux-box.at
Sun Dec 19 15:52:49 EST 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 01:28:32PM +1000, David McCullough wrote:

> Jivin Harald Jenny lays it down ...
> > > Since the only user likely to want "something special" is someone with a
> > > better understanding or technical skillset, don't provide more options if
> > > there are already ways to achieve the same thing,  even if they are a little
> > > more terse/obscure.
> >
> > Could you elaborate on this?
>
> Well,  currently I can choose OCF or cryptoapi etc by selecting how I load
> my modules.  That method works fine and I think that someone who truly cares
> about which crypto support is used will know why and be capable of making
> it work the way they want.

Hmmmm as the startup scripts currently load OCF regardless of the users choice
I don't think that this is so easy... I would personally want to leave out OCF
on purpose even if I have it installed if I want to make a performance test or
have an interop issue and want to rule out an OCF problem.

> 99.9% of people just want it to work,  no need to push new config options
> into the mix. The defaults should be what the openswan dev contributors
> decide is the best and the existing mechanisms documented to allow advanced
> config.

Ok...

> Cheers,
> Davidm