[Openswan dev] Embedded Openswan

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Sep 4 17:38:26 EDT 2009

On Fri, 4 Sep 2009, Thomás wrote:

> I've been working in porting the Openswan to an Embedded platform
> running Linux 2.6.29. On SuperfreeSWAN, I used the starter program
> to load KLIPS, check configuration, invoke and monitor pluto, etc.
>
> On Openswan 2.6.22, a lot of starter code seems to be inside
> libipsecconf but there is still some code that is missing (e.g. pluto
> invokation as in starter_start_pluto()).
>
> My doubt relies in knowing what is the objective of having the
> starter on Openswan. Is it just for parsing configuration? Openswan
> shell scripts don't seem to work very well with busybox, or am I
> mistaken?

The starter script was to speed up loading many connections by
moving a lot of shell script functionality in a faster C based
binary. That starter code was the base for libipsecconf, and is
complemented with the c based "addcon" replacing much of the old
"auto" script.

You should not be using "starter" with openswan 2.6.x. Starting
pluto should be done through the normal initscripts, as they
also take care of restarting pluto if it would crash (happens at
times for embedded people when running out of memory for instance)