[Openswan dev] KLIPS module compilation with non-default options

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca
Thu May 21 16:11:56 EDT 2009

    Harald> Hello all,

    Harald> I just stumbled over the fact that to change an option you
    Harald> have to change settings in two files:

    Harald> setting it to yes or no in linux/net/ipsec/defconfig and

This file sets the default values for when you do "make menuconfig"
after patching your kernel.

    Harald> then defining/undefining it in packaging/linus/config-all.h

This is used in module generation, and isn't the only file available.
There are alternatives in other subdirs of packaging/

    Harald> Could please anyone tell me which files are really necessary
    Harald> (I estimate that when patching the kernel the only important
    Harald> file is the .config?) and is there a reason why this is not
    Harald> combined into one file?

Because there are multiple ways to build the code:
	1) patched into kernel tree.
	2) against a /usr/src/linux
	3) via RPM or other packaging system.

--
]     Y'avait une poule de jammé dans l'muffler!!!!!!!!!        |  firewalls  [
] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[